MEMBERSHIP & PLOT RENTAL FEES
- Annual membership fee: $20.00
- Plots currently rent for $0.40 (includes $0.15 water surcharge) per square foot per six-month season.
- Seasons begin on March 1st and September 1st.
- Plot sizes vary, however, a common size is 10’x10′.
- The minimal plot fee for a season is $30.00 (e.g. This fee is applied to rental of plots smaller than 10’x8′).
Plot fee calculation example:
10’x10’ = 100’
100’ feet x $0.40 = $40.00
$40.00 x 2 seasons
Total annual plot rental $80.00
+ LBO membership fee $20.00
Total for one year of gardening: $100.00
Quarterly payment, sliding scale rent, and reduced memberships are available in some circumstances. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to discuss assistance.
Please be aware that some of our existing gardens have long waiting lists with little turn over. In addition to waiting list priority, other factors may be taken into account when renting a garden space to a new applicant. We are particularly interested in helping low-income families, especially those with children, who might not otherwise have access to wholesome, organic produce, to plant gardens. Also taken into account is residency — Long Beach residents or those who may live in a neighboring city but near a garden are given priority.
Some property owners have other special requirements. For example, gardens operated by St. Luke’s Episcopal Church and the City of Long Beach’s Department of Parks, Recreation & Marine request that those within walking distance of the garden be given priority before we open rentals to the general public. Special consideration is given to individuals who have no other opportunity to garden. We do not discriminate on basis of race, sex, religion, sexual orientation or disability.
We actively seek new garden spaces to fill with waiting gardeners. Is there a vacant lot in your neighborhood in need of cultivation? Let us know so we can help you create a community garden in your neighborhood!
Sign up for our mailing list to get more information on becoming a member and reserving a garden plot.
LBO Gardener Requirements
- Complete and sign a rental agreement and waiver of liability with LBO for each season
- Maintain your plot year round
- Complete a minimum of 6 hours of community work in the common areas per 6-month season (12 hours annually)
- Pay membership dues and plot fees promptly by March 1 and September 1
- New gardeners are expected to plant their gardens within 30 days of signing the rental agreement
Participating in garden events is as important as the paying rent! Regular communal workdays and potlucks are scheduled for completion of community work hours, fun and camaraderie. Special arrangements can be made for those who cannot attend the workdays to complete their minimum hours in other ways.